All items are .zip archives except where indicated.
Using the files directly from the archives is not recommended and sometimes results in
mysterious error messages.
You can use David Pilling's superb !SparkPlug to de-archive them after downloading.
(Download and save this file AS HTML,
set its type to &FFB (Basic), and run it).
Version 10.44 (387 Kb) For all versions of RISC OS from 3.1 onward.
Download Reference Manual and Tutorials
PbaseDoc (1.6 Mb) Completely up-to-date Reference Manual and two Tutorials in HTML format, presented as a RISC OS application. This is now the only supported version of documentation.
All the following databases use the new index structure and are not (in this form) compatible with Powerbase versions prior to 9.70. Should you wish to use one of them with an older version of Powerbase, proceed as follows:
Old and new index files are readily distinguished by the different colours of their icons.
- Shift-double-click on the (unzipped) database to open its directory.
- Delete the file PrimaryKey and the subdirectory Indexes.
- Open the subdirectory OldInds and Shift-drag the PrimaryKey file and Indexes subdirectory from it into the main database directory.
- Friends (8 Kb) Simple address-book database. Needed for the Quick Tutorial.
- Elements (13 Kb) Database of the chemical elements. Needed for the Main Tutorial and also often used for illustrations in the Reference Manual.
- Music (64 Kb) 100 classical works on CD and LP. Used to illustrate some advanced features in the Reference Manual.
(56 Kb) Fully-featured Sudoku puzzle program with creator, solver and !Help file. Illustrates new features added to scrollable list fields and referred to in this context in the Reference Manual. Requires Powerbase 9.44.
- Distribution List
(31 Kb) Generates all necessary lists for distributing a magazine or newsletter to subscribers, some of whom act as sub-ditributors to other subscribers. Sample data provided together with full instructions for use. Requires Powerbase 9.44.
- Boxes (14 Kb) Dartmoor Letterboxing (mean anything to you?). Just a small selection of box descriptions in a database which places all its control buttons on the record window and dispenses with the tool-pane/keypad.
- Fractal (43 Kb) A few Julia sets and their locations in the Mandelbrot set. Provided mainly to show how sprites can be displayed in database records.
- YearA (25 Kb) A "cod" derivative of the student-record database for which Powerbase was first created many years ago! Makes use of self-calculating fields.
- Fontdata (449 Kb) A database of the contents of the EFF CD of Public Domain fonts.
Mainly of interest to users who have the CD since it allows the fonts to be installed and de-installed from Powerbase.
Without the CD it shows the characteristics of each font and illustrated one sample character.
Click here to go to top of page.
- Merge (10 Kb) Files to demonstrate data-merging with Ovation Pro, Ovation, and the Impression family as desvribed in Ch.9 of the new Reference Manual.
- Scripts (17 Kb) Examples illustrating Powerbase's powerful script language.
The scripts are for use with the databases Friends, Elements, Scroller and YearA. If you want to experiment with scripts this (along with Ch.12 of the Reference Manual) is a good place to start
- User functions (4 Kb) A collection of seven user functions which might prove useful.
They are in a UserFuncs subdirectory which can be included in any Powerbase database.
Powerbase 9.41SH makes extensive use of this module.
- Customising Powerbase (60 Kb) A demonstration of how to add non-standard features to Powerbase as
described in Ch.15 of the new Reference Manual. The following are included in this zip file:
- A new HTML version of Ch 15 to replace the existing one in !PbaseDoc.
- A Customise directory to demonstrate how the !Elements database can be given extra features. This is a completely new demo with non-trivial custom features tailored specifically to !Elements.
- A "bare bones" copy of Customise with all the !Elements-specific code removed to provide a basis for users to write their own customisation libraries.
- A copy of !Elements containing more data than previous versions. Some of this data is required by the demo.
- Label printer (36 Kb) Version 1.39 of the Steven Haslam's !PrintLbsl application.
The program is quite independent of Powerbase, taking as
input a CSV file which might be originated by Powerbase or a quite different (and not necessarily RISC OS)
application. Distributed under the GNU general public licence.
- Sliding heap (68 Kb) v.2.11 (01-12-2002) of the memory-manager module,
originally written by Steven Haslam and now made 32-bit compatible by Christopher and Harriet Bazley. Supplied with notes for programmers,
BASIC routines to access the module's SWIs and a Demo program. Distributed under the GNU general public licence.
Click here to go back to the Powerbase home page.